Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Great Trip to the West: Mammoth Lakes, California

I've decided to change up the format of the Great Trip series.  I wasn't able to post regularly on the trip so I fell behind.  Also, there were several days where we didn't do a whole bunch so it would make for a boring read.

After our time in Las Vegas, Zion and Bryce, my cousins returned to San Francisco and the wife and I headed to the Eastern Sierras of California.  The main reason for this leg of the trip was to visit my uncle who lives up in those parts.  We arrived in mid-afternoon and just hung out until my uncle and cousin got home.

We spent the next three days talking, eating and just hanging around the Mammoth area of California.

Mammoth is a resort town.  Prices are high and the town is small.  When my uncle lived there back in the 80s it was mostly a winter resort, but now they are trying to bring in tourists for the summer as well.  It's alright place, but it's pretty expensive (I saw gas prices near five bucks a gallon while there).

One of the main draws to the area is the Devil's Postpile National Monument.  I'm not sure what it's like because it was closed when we went there.  We tried to sneak a peak but the rangers weren't having it.

Another main attraction to the area is Mono Lake located near Lee Vining, California.  It's a highly saline lake.  You put your hand in it and it feels slimy.  We canoed around the area and viewed some nice tufa (mineral deposit formations).  The lakes an awesome spot to do some paddling or swimming if you're in the mood for more natural recreation.

If you're in the area and are looking for some aquatic transportation/tours try out Caldera Kayaks.  I met the operators in passing and they seemed like really cool people.

Overall the Mammoth Lakes area is pretty nice.  It's worth a visit and is in a prime location to get to Yosemite and other National Parks in the East Sierra Mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment