Thursday, July 12, 2012

Great Trip to the West Day 6: Zion

The two days of rest came to and end on Saturday.  We woke early again in order to get ready and prepare for our trip to Utah and Zion National Park.

We headed back into the desert and soon the glamorous surroundings of Las Vegas disappeared into the hazy sand.  The drive was mundane, a characteristic of traveling through the Southwest part of the United States.  The only interesting part was when we went through some steep craggy mountains.

This was the first time for me to be in Utah.  It was just like most other Southwestern states.  I was expecting more picturesque views.

Zion was pretty.  The radio was saying that there wasn't going to be any parking in the park.  It took me about 2 minutes to find a spot.  We did our standard walk about the visitor center and then boarded a bus to the actual scenic spots.  I'm not going to lie, I thought the park was a little anti-climatic.  It was pretty, but not what I was expecting.  People were telling me how gorgeous it was and how wonderful it was.  Yeah it was nice, but nothing too exciting.  It was probably because we didn't spend much time there that I thought it was just so-so.  I want to go back when my wife isn't pregnant so we can actually explore and get the whole experience.  Don't let this entry deter you from seeing the park.  It's definitely worth seeing, but dedicate a whole day or two to it.

After the park we began our trek to Bryce Canyon National park.  We were on small state highways so there was some winding around and slow speeds.  It took us about an hour or so to get to the park area.

 We bedded down for the night at Bryce Canyon resort.  It's a small place near the park and wasn't too bad.  My biggest complaint was that the people in the room above us seemed to pace about all evening.

We were up early to begin our day at Bryce.

No comments:

Post a Comment