Friday, June 18, 2010

Planning trips

I love to daydream and to imagine what my future exploits will hold. I have many many places that I want to go. The problem is is how to see them all. My answer is to try to combine destinations. For example, I am planning a trip to France next year. I've been there once before, but that was years ago before I really could appreciate the finer aspects of life and art. I therefore intend to do a few of the same things that I did before, namely the Louvre. After that I will bum around with a couple French friends to other parts of France. Now there's no reason why I can't hop over to Germany (another place I want to go, but have never had the chance) after my France trip. So that's exactly what I intend to do. I'll spend a week in France then go to Germany.

I have no real itinerary set up yet, just a vague idea of what I want to see and do, but basically I'm going to just get tickets to and from Paris and see where the wind takes me. That's the style I like. I don't like being bogged down by deadlines and time tables. I'll wake up in the morning and see what I feel like. I may not necessarily want to leave the area I'm in, or I might meet someone with a good recommendation. And traveling is more fun when it's up in the air. When I was 16 I went to Scotland and Ireland with my mom. We had plane tickets, our suitcases and a couple travel books and that was it. We would get to a city and start calling places to see if they had rooms. We did that for the entire 10 day trip. One night we actually stayed at this British couple's house. They were very nice and hooked us up with food and stuff. Very awesome experience. It's stuff like that that make me want to just go and not to make plans. I don't know what's around the corner.

I'm going to the Philippines in July. I'm basically following my formula for that trip as well. I've got a list of places and things I'd like to see, but no real plan. I have a place to stay, but other than that, nothing. I'm going to see what happens and just live day to day, in the present.

Trips that are in the works:

Philippines July 2010
France and Germany Summer 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment