Monday, June 4, 2012

Getting ready for the summer trip

Traveling with someone requires a lot more planning and effort than traveling alone.  When I was single I'd usually make a plan, inform people who lived in or near my destination that I was coming so we could hang out, and then go.

Now, I have to make lists and have a more defined plan.  The wife doesn't really want to fly by the seat of our pants, and I guess that's cool.  It is nice having a list so that I don't forget stuff.  Once I almost flew back to the United States without my computer charger.  That would've been horrible.

Since the planning began we've researched possible destinations, sights and places to eat.  The wife has been pretty diligent in thinking about what we need to bring and other logistics.  I've basically been in charge of our "flight plan" so to speak.  I absolutely refuse to make reservations at hotels along the way as the time to get to a certain destination may not always be what we think it will be.  I have a lot of friends tell me stories how they made reservations for their long car trip only to get delayed and miss the reservation.  To make matters worse they often times would have paid the full amount prior to departure.  I don't want to spend money on something I may not be able to use.  I know I run the risk of not finding a hotel where I want to, but there are plenty of hotels along the way and I'm sure we'll find one.  Another reason I dislike hotel reservations is that you never know where you might need to stop.  Sure it's easy to look at a map and have a destination in mind, but you may get tired earlier or you may have more energy and decide to press on.  There are dozens of factors when it comes to car travel and I feel that they all dictate the necessity of having open ended plans.  I also really like just knowing the end date and figuring stuff out on the road.

The wife and I purchased some stuff for the trip such as some dehydrated camp meals.  We really want to save money and so we're going to eat in most of the time we're traveling.  We'll probably eat one meal out a day, but we'll see figure that out later.  I do, however, have a couple places that I absolutely want to eat at.  One of these places is the Big Texan in Amarillo, Texas.  I've seen it on TV and read about it online.  I have to try one of their steaks.  I'm not going to do the 72 oz challenge.  That's a young man's endeavor...

So far we've got our list of gear we need and an outline of places we want to go and by when we need to be there.  I think we're good for our trip.  Now to just wait out the next two weeks and pack and we'll be good to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment