Thursday, July 29, 2010

Public transport in the Philippines

The Philippines have 4 main modes of public transport: jeepney, tricycle, train and taxi cab. I was fortunate enough to be able to ride all 4 while here.

Jeepney is by far the cheapest. Most places cost about 7 pesos to get to via the jeepney. Basically jeepneys are a long, truck looking vehicle with a rear entrance at the very back. You board the vehicle and pass your money forward using other passengers. Don't worry, everyone is very honest and no one pockets your change. One fellow passenger actually counted out my change for me to make sure the driver didn't cheat me (drivers cheating the passengers is extremely rare, so no worries).

The tricycles are a bit more expensive, but faster as they go directly to where you want to go. Think taxi but a motorcycle with a large sidecar. This is a very bumpy and sometimes harrowing experience. Drivers in the Philippines are quite skilled, but it seems very chaotic to the inexperienced. You also have to check how much the price is before riding. I've been told you can haggle the price lower if you think it's too much.

The train is very nice. It's quiet, fast and pretty cheap. It is also very uncomplicated. There are three lines in the Manila area and they are all very easy to read (i.e. they are in English). However, some of the stops can be dodgy, especially Recto. I've been to Recto both in the day time and in the night. It is definitely scarier at night. I highly recommend against being in Recto at night alone.

The fourth and the least used by me is the taxi cab. In Japan I use cabs a lot. They are expensive, but they will usually get you where you want to go safely. In the Philippines they are the most expensive mode of transport and the can be very dodgy. I have been told several times that I should not trust a taxi cab here. Mainly they will try to take advantage of their customers. It's not only foreigners who should watch out, but Filipinos too! If you absolutely must use a taxi confirm that the meter is working before getting into the taxi. You should also ask general price. If the meter is broken do not get in. My friend's parents have driven me around Manila several times in order for me to not use the taxi. It was their idea not mine. That's how worried they are about it.

Overall public transport is awesome in the Philippines. It allows you to see another culture and to meet more locals.

No comments:

Post a Comment