Monday, April 28, 2014

Travel Accessories: The iPad

Accessories are important to the traveler.  One always needs equipment, tools, and other items to ensure the trip is good.  On my recent trip to Japan I discovered how nice it is to have a tablet device.

I am an avid reader.  I often read a couple books a week and this number increases when I'm on vacation.  It's also a great way to pass the time while flying or otherwise traveling.  In the past, I used to pack six or seven books each time I flew to Japan.  There were a couple problems to this; one being the weight.  It would add to the difficulty of moving around and would make my back ache.  The size and shape was also a problem.  Trying to fit a book filled bag into the overhead compartment was no easy task and when I wanted a certain book I would often have to dig around for it.  Another problem was that I had to bring the books back home too.  So basically I had a ton of dead weight going and coming home.

The iPad changed all this.

This past summer when I went to Japan I carried an almost empty backpack.  The only thing in it was my iPad, a change of clothes and a couple other traveling essentials.  Basically my bag was super light.  This was a new experience for me.  I was used to lugging a huge and heavy backpack around, but now it was light and easily maneuvered about.

The iPad allows you basically carry all of your travel entertainment needs in one nice, compact and light weight device.  On top of entertainment it serves as a calendar book, address book, internet device, GPS and much much more.  At the time of its first trip it did not have much on it, but now I have a lot of apps and other info to help make trips run smoother.  Among some of my apps I have a couple Tennessee specific ones especially TDOT.  I have Kayak, Expedia, National Parks Guide, and many more.  On top of the ones I have, there are tons of other apps out there that I just haven't gotten around to downloading.  There are several dictionaries and translations apps.  There are even several bag packing apps that guarantee that you won't forget anything if you use it.

Overall, I feel that the iPad, or any tablet for that matter, is an indispensable item.  It'll cut down on luggage and weight.  It will keep all your important items in a compact and easy to use manner.  It's definitely worth the money and I look forward to learning more about mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment