Monday, April 28, 2014

I'm dreaming of a white Thanksgiving!?

The white stuff didn't make itself known until we were in Knoxville.  The weather had been cold and overcast but dry.  The further we pushed into East Tennessee, the more the snow built up and the heavier it fell.  The funny thing though was that no one was over reacting like they do in Middle and West Tennessee.

The roads were clear throughout the way from I-40 exit 407 through Sevierville and Pigeon Forge (one of the gaudiest tourist towns this side of the Mississippi River).  We stopped at a Kroger in Sevierville to get some last minute Thanksgiving supplies and to get some directions.  I also took the opportunity to get some info on the road conditions.  According to the locals it was clear through Gatlinburg.  They weren't wrong.

The drive continued South, deeper into the Great Smoky Mountains.  After passing through Tourist City USA aka Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, we entered into a winter wonderland.  This place was amazingly beautiful.  Everything was glazed in white and though traffic was steady, it was extremely peaceful.  The road wound its way through this small portion of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park and treated us to the splendor of the mountains that we so rarely get living in the delta.

I was apprehensive, being a flat lander and all, while driving through this gorgeous scenery, but the roads were nice and not icy sheets of death.

That is until we go to the last little bit of road to our cabin.

My mom had warned me that it was a steep climb up to the cabin and the road was icy.  I was now confident (maybe a bit too much so) and went head long up the hill.  It was fine for the first 3 or 4 minutes.  Then we got to the last hill.  It had a good angle on it and sure enough, it was frozen.  We inched up.  The tires would slip and the car would whine.  We'd climb up a few more inches and slip again.  I was nervous, having my wife and young son in the car.  We made a turn and I began to relax.  Then within sight of the cabin, maybe 20 or 30 feet from the driveway, we get stuck.  I can't move forward at all.  I cut the wheels to the left and manage to creep out.  Then I'm stuck again.  I cut more and pump the gas and end up in a shallow ditch.  After a bit of cursing and unnecessary steering wheel punching, I put the car in reverse and out we go.  Suddenly my car can make it up the last bit of hill and we coast into the driveway.

Hugs were given and I got to introduce my wife and son to my cousin Johnny whom I haven't seen in 11 years.  We chatted and unloaded the car.  The boy was whisked off to our room upstairs to get a well needed and earned nap, which he eventually refused to take.

I needed a beer.  We had plenty and lord knew I needed one.  So Johnny and I started early.  After awhile my uncle woke up and joined us in spirits.  It was a fun time of male bonding and catching up.

Early afternoon saw the arrival of my cousin Frank and his family of six.  The quiet cabin was no more.  The day was fun and enjoyable.  Stories were told and everyone caught up on each other's lives.  It was a great time and of course we all stayed up late into the evening talking and just enjoying each other.

Thursday.  I woke up early as  I had volunteered to make omelets in a bag (something I learned from scouting and wanted to try it out).  I crept downstairs and as quiet as I could be, started to make breakfast.  I already had chopped onions and such (you always want to do as much prep work at home as possible).  My little second cousin loved the omelet and begged me every morning after to make "that thing we made yesterday".  It was an easy breakfast and kept everyone out of the kitchen for the important meal.

The rest of the weekend was spent reminiscing about our loved ones who are no longer with us and telling stories and generally updating each other on our lives.

We did manage to get out to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, but didn't see much other than from the car.  It was still spectacular, but I felt a bit disappointed that I didn't get to do any hiking.  I guess I have an excuse to go bum around Gatlinburg again.

We were going to go up to Clingman's Dome (highest point in Tennessee), but on the way up I got spooked by the amount of ice that was on the road (I've become a bit more cautious since my son was born.  A couple years ago I would've bounded up the mountain with barely a thought.).  The drive up to Clingman's was great and very beautiful.  I love the mountains!  However, we couldn't find a parking space so we decided to return to the visitor center and then back to the cabin.

The return to the cabin took almost an hour after we left the visitor center.  Keep in mind that the park is only 4 miles from where we were staying.  The entirety of Gatlinburg was crammed full of cars and pedestrians.  We crept down the strip, inching past shops, bars, restaurants, and hotels.  We finally made it back and I vowed that I was not going to be leaving the cabin again until we were heading home.

I kept my promise and only ventured out when my cousin was driving.  The rest of the time was spent eat, drinking and catching up on everyone's lives.  It was great trip and I greatly enjoyed it.  Gatlinburg is on the list of places my family wants to revisit.

No comments:

Post a Comment