Friday, June 10, 2011

Mt. Gozaisho

I like hiking. I've been doing it since I was a kid. I love being outdoors and being in touch with nature. It's just peaceful and calming.

When I returned to Japan 10 days ago, my buddy Patrick almost immediately sent me an invite to climb a mountain with him and our friend Paul. I was a bit jet lagged still and didn't really want to go, but the promise of hanging out with two of my good friends changed my mind.

The mountain in mind was Gozaisho in the Suzuka Range. It sits basically on the border of Mie and Shiga prefectures. The best way to get there is by car, but it is also on the Kintetsu Yunoyama line. Yunoyama station is the terminus for the line and the closest station the the mountain.

My fiance packed me a nice lunch (full of energy promoting goodness) and I packed my bag. I was up early the next morning (partially in thanks to the jet lag) and was actually 15 minutes or so early. Patrick grabbed Paul and I at the 7-11 in Komaki city and we were off.

The initial parts of the mountain were pretty easy. Things started off in a nice little forest and the weather was dry and cool. Very quickly, however, it became much more challenging. The path began going up steep embankments and would at times disappear entirely. Still the weather was on our side and it was enjoyable talking with my friends.

The path continued with it's unpredictability. We would be on somewhat level terrain and suddenly the path would veer right and we'd be climbing a steep wall of rock or muddy forest. Sometimes we needed the small trees that lined the path to help pull us up. It was pretty fun actually.

Though the weather was cool we still took frequent water breaks and other rest breaks (I'm not in the best of shape right now). This was probably the hardest mountain I've climbed to date. Fuji was taller, but the terrain was not as crazy and the slope was more moderate. Ibukiyama was tough, but due to the uneven terrain of Gozaisho, it wins the hardest mountain award.

It was funny seeing the people at the top of the mountain who took the cable car. They gave us odd stares as we came stumbling up the path all dirty and sweaty. We gave them the stares of "you didn't earn this". I definitely felt accomplished after reaching the top, pushing myself through areas I didn't think I'd make it and then seeing everyone else who cheated. I felt like I had done something worthwhile. I climbed a mountain.

Though the mountain is tough, you don't need much in the terms of equipment. We had no ropes or crampons and didn't need them. Basically all you need is a pair of good hiking boots and a pack. I did not have a camelback, but I highly recommend one. They are a great item to have while hiking. Another item which I found invaluable was bug spray. That stuff was a life saver. The mosquitoes were pretty bad on the mountain and could really ruin an otherwise great day. Another essential item is head gear. I actually forgot my cap in the States, but had my backup bandana ready. Just one thing, make sure the bandana is color fast. Mine was supposed to be, but after a couple hours of hiking my forehead was blue.

If you choose to climb Gozaisho, make sure you are prepared. And don't give up. It seems tough, but as Paul said "The easisest way down a mountain is getting to the top".

No comments:

Post a Comment