Wednesday, June 8, 2011

JAL

So I'm back in Japan. This time I'm visiting my soon to be in laws and the soon to be missus. So far it's been a pretty nice trip. This post is mostly about my initial journey to the country.

As is often the case with traveling to Japan (or other East Asian countries) I left in the early morning hours from Nashville. My first layover was in Chicago. I've been to Chicago's airport a couple times before. In the past, I always felt that it was confusing and overly huge. This time I felt a bit different. I didn't need to take a tram to my departure area and the signs and staff were very helpful in finding my gate. However, make sure you double check where you are departing from because I and a couple others were told by the gate agent to leave the security area and to go to a completely different terminal. I, thinking that I had heard something different on the plane to Chicago, decided to ask a security agent. Good thing I did. Turns out that international flights used to leave from a different terminal. Now, however, they leave from the same terminal (depends on destination and carrier).

After finding my gate, something I always do before doing anything else, I went about finding some food. I ended up at the greasy chopstick in the food court. I learned a long time ago that it's always best to have something in your stomach before boarding your interenational flight just in case their in flight meal doesn't sit well with you. Unfortunately I had passed all the nice places a while back and did not want to wander too far from my gate.

This was the first time for me to fly JAL (Japan Air Lines) from the States to Japan. I must say this experience was awesome! From the moment I checked in to the moment I stepped off the plane in Nagoya, everything was great.

The first bit of sunshine was when I checked in. The gate agent informed me that I had an inner seat (something that I already requested against) and asked if I wanted an aisle. I did. He also said that he could give me a special seating assignment. I could have a business seat, but with economy service. Cool I thought, big seat.

The seat was the greatest I had ever seen. I was huge. I had left over room when I sat down. Also, you could recline the seat back to a laying down position. It was awesome! So comfortable and I was able to relax quite a bit. I still wasn't able to sleep much, but was comfortable nonetheless.

Arriving in Narita was nothing special, however, my experience there has emphasized my dislike for that airport. Everytime I go through Narita I have a different and irritating experience. It also seems that the airport changes configuration each time I go. It looked really different from only a year ago. Nothing really looked the same as when I came back from the Philippines last year. Another frustrating thing was that everyone was telling me a different place to go.

I left customs and was pointed to the left in order to make my connecting flight. Then when I was stopped by airport police the first time for a passport check I was told to go upstairs. Then when I was stopped a second time for a passport check, I was told yet another place. Finally someone pointed me to the "correct" area. However, I had to recheck my bags... Most other airports merely have you load up your bags right after customs. Not in Narita. You have to go to another ticket counter and recheck your stuff. Finally with under an hour left I made it to my gate.

Though I had a few irritations in Tokyo, my trip was great. I also want to say that I was not mad or irritated at getting my passport checked twice. It was just that they took several minutes each time and I was worried about missing my flight. I know the cops were just doing their jobs. So if it happens to you, just go with the flow and cooperate. Use Japanese if you can and be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment