Friday, March 25, 2011

Washington DC: Day 4

Having seen the memorials on the mall I decided to try to take some pictures of the White House. I had been able to see it the previous morning while between the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial.

I wandered down to the White House and indeed got some nice pictures. I was a bit surprised at how close tourists were allowed to get. After the white house I went back to the Natural History Museum.

Again, that place is huge. I got to look more in depth at the exhibits I thought were interesting, but did not have the time to the previous day: ancient life, aquatic life, rocks and minerals, and much more.

The rocks and minerals area was very cool and if I had seen it as a kid I would've been in heaven (I loved rocks and such as a kid). If you go there DO NOT miss the crystal exhibits! It is absolutely awesome! I got a lot of ideas for short stories by wandering those halls.

I took the opportunity of being at the museum to learn a bit more about a culture. I decided to watch a movie about Arabia. It was interesting, but not very in depth. Also, the 3-D glasses made my head and face hurt. After the film I wandered about a bit more and decided to get some food.

I was on the way back to my favorite haunt (the Eastern side of Pennsylvania Ave) when I noticed a lot of cops and several people standing on the sidewalks. Come to find out a motorcade was about to start and we had to remain where we were for it. Some of the other people there said it was President Obama. I couldn't tell, but maybe it was.

After that 45 minute hold up I rushed off in search of food. I chose to get pizza. We the Pizza is a nice pizza joint with such interesting pizzas as buffalo chicken and greek pizza. I went for the buffalo chicken and sausage and peppers. Both were great. I had a beer there, a Fireside nut brown ale. I wasn't too fond of it. It tasted really awful, almost like it was skunked. The after taste was the worst. On the up side the slices were big and filling.

I then ended up at the Capitol Lounge, a pub very close to We the Pizza. It has a nice locals feel to it. I had a few pints in anticipation of St. Patty's day and started wandering again.

I made it to the American Portraits museum, but ended up having to go back to my friend's place for our St. Paddy's Day fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment