Saturday, January 7, 2012

More thoughts on Meeman-Shelby State Park

I'm really enjoying my jaunts to Meeman-Shelby State Park aka Shelby Forest. I've been three times. The wife and I are going to start making our trips there a weekly thing.

It's an extremely peaceful place and a great reprieve from the hectic pace of Memphis. It's also an awesome place to get some exercise. One of my biggest difficulties in exercising is that I really dislike the energy in gyms. The atmosphere is dreary and often times the other patrons can have an attitude about them that discourages me from continuing. However, in the woods you're alone and have nothing but yourself to keep you from exercising. I feel much more motivated when I'm in the wild. No one's looking at me and judging. I'm just enjoying my rigorous walk in the woods. The only person to stop me from working out is me.

Shelby Forest's Woodland trail is about 3 miles long and has some ups and downs. It's a good start for the beginning hiker. I feel that it's hard enough to get things pumping, but easy enough to keep discouragement down.

Being a State Park Shelby Forest doesn't get much money or help. Friends of Meeman-Shelby help out, but just from seeing the state of the Woodland Trail, it needs more. I really want to start helping out, even if it's just removing debris from the trail, but it needs to start somewhere.

If you're a Memphian and you want a break from the hustle and grind of Memphis, take the short jaunt North on Highway 51 and see our nice little State Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment